Do you feel the need to simplify your home or just desire a clean slate? The best way to start is by decluttering. Maybe you want more time for your family or for an activity you love. Perhaps you just have an urge to purge and want a fresh start. Whatever your reason, there’s no time like the present! Here are 5 simple steps to help you get going.
1. Use the Four Box Method. Get 4 boxes and label them trash, donate, keep, and locate. Enter any room in your home and place each item into one of the following boxes. Don’t skip a single item, no matter how insignificant you may think it is. This may take days, weeks, or months, but it will help you see how many items you really own and you’ll know exactly what to do with each item.
2. Create a Declutter Checklist. It’s easier to declutter when you have a visual representation of where you need to get started. Ask yourself which spaces in your home are a priority, what can you get rid of, and when you want to start?
3. Schedule your declutter time. Plan for 15 min a day, two hours on the weekend, or set aside a weekend or two and declutter the whole house at once.
4. Be consistent. Focus on progress, not perfection. It took years to accumulate all the stuff in your home. You can’t expect to get rid of all the clutter in one night.
5. Get help. Ask a friend or family member to go through big items in your house and help you decide what to get rid of.